Failure to act immediately could be dangerous for your beloved pooch, so it is vital you get them to the vet quickly. Leave a Reply Cancel reply Your email address will not be published. It ideal to have a ball bigger than a tennis ball for your dog if they could potentially swallow one, especially large breeds. However, there are no government standards for pet toys, and many of these are made dog ate tennis ball of the US so could contain harmful substances.

dog ate tennis ball

Welcome to our informative guide explaining what to do if your dog eats a tennis ball. There are strict regulations for tennis ball materials since they are for humans use in the sport and are therefore not toxic. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. If your dog has surgery, they will require hospitalization for a few days to administer fluids, pain relief medication, and antibiotics along with round-the-clock supervision. Leave a Reply Cancel reply Your email address will not be published.

Dog Stella needed emergency surgery at Vets Now in Gateshead after vets discovered she'd eaten tennis balls weighing more than half a kilo.

There are strict regulations for tennis ball materials since they are for humans use in the sport and are therefore not toxic. However, it would require your dog to do a significant amount of chewing and gnawing over an extended period of time to do any considerable damage to their teeth. There is no need to stop your dog from playing with a tennis ball if you take the necessary precautions to keep them safe. As the dog plays with the ball, dirt and sand are also accumulated making the coating even more abrasive. Therefore, their jaws powerful enough to wrap around the whole toy and break it in half within minutes!

However, there are no government standards for pet toys, and many of these are made outside of the US so could contain harmful substances. Only let dog ate tennis ball dog play with a dog ate tennis ball ball while supervised and never allow them to chew one or have more than one in his mouth at a time. A study in discovered that many tennis balls made for dogs had traces of lead, with other pet products containing one or more toxic chemicals.

dog ate tennis ball

Unfortunately, dogs and tennis balls are not always a perfect match, and there are some potential health risks you should be aware of as a dog owner. Welcome to our informative guide explaining what to do if your dog eats a tennis ball. If you see your dog eating a tennis ball, it could have serious consequences including choking or causing a blockage.

If your dog swallows half of or a whole tennis ball, this could cause a blockage requiring surgery which is both painful and potentially fatal, and expensive. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. There is no need to stop your dog from playing with a tennis ball if you take the necessary precautions to keep them safe. Any specific feedback would be helpful because most posts say ball fragments never come out even with throwing up? As the dog plays with the ball, dirt and sand are also accumulated making the coating even more abrasive.

One of the main problems with tennis balls is that big dogs like Golden Retrievers and German Shepherds have large mouths! However, there are no government standards for pet toys, and many of these are made outside of the US so could contain harmful substances.

Boag AK et al. The fuzz on a tennis ball is designed to be sturdy for hard use on the tennis court so is very abrasive. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.

There is no need to stop your dog from playing with a tennis ball if you take the necessary precautions to keep them safe. It ideal to have a ball bigger than a tennis ball for your dog if they could potentially swallow one, especially large breeds. Failure to act immediately could be dangerous for your beloved pooch, so it is vital you get them to the vet quickly.

Your email address will not be published. However, there are no government standards for pet toys, and many of these are made outside of the US so could contain harmful substances. Many dogs will happily chew and shred the yellow-green fuzz around a tennis ball but if they swallow it, this can be dangerous for your pooch. The treatment will also depend on the age, size, and symptoms of your dog, along with their medical history.

dog ate tennis ball

So what happens if your dog eats a tennis ball? If you see your dog Should I be concerned if my dog ate tennis-ball rubber? If your dog ate.

As the dog plays with the ball, dirt and sand are also accumulated making the coating even more abrasive. Leave a Reply Cancel reply Your email address will not be published. Therefore, their jaws powerful enough to wrap around the whole toy and break it in half within minutes! There are strict regulations for tennis ball dog ate tennis ball since they are for humans use in the sport and are therefore not toxic.

dog ate tennis ball

Any specific feedback would be helpful because most posts say ball fragments never come out even with throwing up? Do you have any experience with your dog eating a tennis ball? Tennis balls are made by gluing two halves of molded rubber together, filling the ball with air, before dipping it into glue and attaching the abrasive fuzz.

As a former veterinary technician, I have seen dogs pass foreign objects as large as tennis balls and as potentially dangerous as diamond stud earrings with no.

There are strict regulations for tennis ball materials since they are for humans use in the sport and are therefore not toxic. This site uses cookies: Our little chuhiuha just ate half tennis ball too and a few hours later threw up some food with bits of tennis ball followed by several episodes with just liquid coming up. If your dog has surgery, they will require hospitalization for a few days to administer fluids, pain relief medication, and antibiotics along with round-the-clock supervision. However, there are no government standards for pet toys, and many of these are made outside of the US so could contain harmful substances.

My Dog Ate a Foreign Body! Now What?

Welcome to our informative guide explaining what to do if your dog eats a tennis ball. Tennis balls are made by gluing two halves of molded rubber together, filling the ball with air, before dipping it into glue and attaching the abrasive fuzz. It ideal to have a ball bigger than a tennis ball for your dog if they could potentially swallow one, especially large breeds. Do you have any experience with your dog eating a tennis ball?

dog ate tennis ball

Boag AK et al. Dogs love nothing more than a fun game of fetch with a tennis ball. Tennis balls are made by gluing two halves of molded rubber together, filling the ball with air, before dipping it into glue and attaching the abrasive fuzz. Did you have x rays? There are strict regulations for tennis ball materials since they are for humans use in the sport and are therefore not toxic. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care. The treatment will also depend on the age, size, and symptoms of your dog, along with their medical history.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here